July 28, 2011

A Little Ditty in My Head...

I love music. I have no musical ability whatsoever, but I did use to dance…which is somewhat related, right? Well, I at least have rhythm.

When I was younger, my sister took me to tons of concerts. Some of my favorite memories are of our road trips to concerts, waiting outside to get in early and be at the front of the crowd, and standing for 3+ hours in hot sweaty crowds of people screaming out the lyrics along with the band on stage. Though I probably have permanent hearing loss from the times we spent in front of blaring speakers, I wouldn’t have missed it for the world. There’s just something invigorating about literally feeling the music reverberate through your body, and dancing without a care.

Now my music enjoyment is limited to doing a boogie in my office chair while streaming Pandora radio on my iPhone at work. But thank goodness for Pandora! Without it, my music horizons would be severely stunted. If you don’t know of Pandora, it’s a radio that creates a station around music you like. You don’t get to choose what you hear, it just plays songs similar to the ones you tell it you like. And that’s the best thing about Pandora: it introduces me to new music! And the cool thing is you can build the station around multiple musical influences. For example, the station I listen to is Mumford & Sons combined with Florence + the Machine. After many attempts, this is my ideal station. Pretty much everything they play I love.

Now I can’t make it through the day without my Pandora station. And I’m infuriated when the bad cell service in my office building interrupts my soundtrack. But I make do.

And because I feel the need to show you how cool I am because I listen to cool music, here is a list of bands I’ve discovered through Pandora that are worth checking out:

Florence + the Machine
Regina Spektor
Kate Nash
Lily Allen
Vampire Weekend
Old 97s
Adele
Two Door Cinema Club
Josh Ritter

The bad thing is, now that I’ve found all these artists, I’d like to own their albums to avoid the aforementioned musical interruptions, but it’s too much money to buy them all. I guess I’ll just count to ten and wait for my signal to come back.

2 comments:

  1. I can supply you with...Florence and the Machine, Regina Spektor, Adele, Two Door Cinema Club, and John Ritter. Are you by any chance on Dropbox?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you get pandora on your computer? That is one website they don't block at school. It's good for the kids, too.

    ReplyDelete