June 9, 2011

My Genes are Defective

I was born in 1986. I don't like to admit it, but I am a Millenial, or part of Generation Y. As such, technology should be ingrained in my very DNA. I'm not a hacker or software developer, but I can do what needs to be done. I have a MacBook, an iPhone, a Kindle, a Wii. I get my news, books, music, and movies from the internet. I can answer any question anyone could possibly think up with my magic fingers and Google. I'm on Facebook, Gmail, and Blogspot. And just recently, Twitter.

I have just recently gotten a Twitter account. I'm not slow, I've known Twitter was always around. The first time I heard about it was at a magic show in college (Yes, magic show...in college. There was fire. And knives. Just trust me, it was cool.) The guy on stage mentioned he was going to tweet something. When he came back from intermission, he explained that no, that was not a sexual euphemism as someone had accused him of, but was how you post on Twitter.
But I just never saw the point.
Super Hubs told me I should get one, it's just fun, and finally I figured why not? Might as well see what all the hubbub is about. And now perhaps my generation will claim me.

But one interesting thing is I have had to learn how to use Twitter. That's not how it works. I should be able to figure it out because it was made for my brain.
And now I've noticed I'm asking Ben often for help with how to do this on the computer, or how to link this to my Facebook, or how to set this up on my Kindle, or how to change this on my iPhone.
That's not how it's supposed to work! My mom is the one that asks for help with technology, not me.

But I will not be dismayed. I'm going to gladly take it as a sign of adulthood that Ben's ten year old brother is more adept at using technology than I am.

@jxncait  #technogenes

No comments:

Post a Comment